Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sensory Deprivation Space Time Tanks

Yesterday I went on yet another fascinating field trip with my Nothing class. We went to the sensory deprivation tanks located here in the Lincoln Park area. The procedure starts with a shower, so everyone was given their own room with a tank and a shower. You then enter the tank for a 45 minute session. A worker then enters the room and knocks on the door of the tank to let you know that your session is up and you are to knock back. The experience is concluded with yet another shower.




What's in the tank, you may ask?




The tank is sound and light proof and it is filled with 800lbs of salt. The water is at a controlled temperature of 98 degrees which makes it nearly impossible to feel the difference between your own body and the water it is submerged in.




The experience was absolutely amazing. I interviewed several of my classmates about their experience, this is what they had to say:




"I've done this before but this time i had a very different experience. I feel so relaxed and tired now..."
-Wiley Hoard (also just to add...Wiley chose the "ego" room which is the largest of the three and is very similar to a bath house, Wow Wiley!)




"When I first entered the tank I investigated the space around me and had fun with the space, and then my mind started to think think think, and I may have NEARLY hallucinated! Oh, and not to mention my ears have dried salt in them..."-Erik Dell



"I expected more of an outer body experience, and every time my hand touched the tank, i snapped out of it. I wish it would have been more intense, also, i have salt in my ears..." -Andrew Campbell





As for myself, I absolutely enjoyed the experience. It made me very aware of my mind and heart in relation to the rest of my body, near the end, i experienced what may be described as an OUTER body experience. It was wonderful and I am interested in doing it again.

IMG_0752.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG
IMG_0751.JPG