Sunday, December 16, 2007

Bye Bye Chicago...Aloha Hawaii!

I am originally from Honolulu located on the Hawaiian Island of Oahu. When I decided to attend SAIC I had to take into consideration the distance I would be from home as well as all the cultural and climate changes I would experience. Since being here I have returned home during the holidays just once, that was during my first year. I have however, visited during the summers. This is due to the expensive price of a plane ticket for someone flying from a freezer to paradise! Since moving to Chicago, I have always crossed my fingers for a Kama'aina rate to fly home. Kama'aina rates are often offered in Hawaii and are basically low rates for the people/residents of Hawaii and are available everywhere throughout the island since our high cost of living is due to the fact that our economy highly depends on tourism. I got lucky this year though, because despite the non-existing Kama'aina airfare rate, I still managed to make it home to see my family. It has been just under two years since I have returned home and I have been missing everything about my family and the beautiful island I am from.


The travel from Chicago to Honolulu took quite some time since I flew out at the start of a mini snowstorm our plane had to be de-iced before starting it's journey. Despite the bad weather and the bumpy ride, I crossed a number of different landscapes from white capped mountains, the Vegas desert, and then finally the blue Pacific Ocean of which I have missed for years now. When I finally arrived home, I was greeted as in the past, with a beautiful orchid lei, tropical Hawaiian music, and my youngest brother, Amir, who embraced me with the biggest hug and the brightest smile!


Photobucket
De-icing of the plane in Chicago, it was much like a car wash.


Photobucket
Approaching the island of Oahu after 9 hours of air time.


I am finally home!


I will keep you updated with all that I am doing on my two and a half week vacation before returning to Chicago for my winter semester course. Enjoy!